21 September 2010

Cures for a Homesick Texan/Utahn

It has finally arrived in its first wave! What I would give to watch an episode of King of the Hill right now...

Well, since Netflix and Hulu don't have license to provide me with comforts like that, I have compiled a brief (but growing list) of things that help:

1. Bluegrass music from the UK Pandora equivalent (lastFM). Doc Watson has a House of the Rising Sun and an Amazing Grace that brought me to tears last night. Oh it was so great to hear it though.

2. Maple syrup and pancakes. The smell of the syrup alone is enough to bring me to my knees nowadays. Thank heavens for the little shoppe south of city centre that carries maple syrup!

3. A good, hard swim in my new pool. It's old timey, with big vaulted ceilings and bay windows that let in the short moments of sun and sky for all backstrokers to enjoy.

4. An FHE game of Scrabble (I am pretty sure he let me win last night to make me feel better - good man).

5. Thoughts of running like crazy up that glorious Holyrood highland. Its a bus ride or a several mile walk/run to get there but I will go. I will go and it will be magnificent.

6. Reading Ramona books. So grateful there are nearly a dozen in the series.
I'll let you know if I come up with anything else. In the meantime, any ideas you might have to fend off a case of the "missing the familiar and comforting" would be much appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. Hot Chocolate made real chocolate style and a marshmellow toast and/or roast over a stove. It's a little bit of the canyons right here in in my Midwestern kitchen. And it's fun. Try to get the perfect roast on that range if you dare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they sell marshmallows where you are, I just thought of that. If not, the hot chocolate will do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kdding Jo? They LOVE marshmallows here - they change them into different colors, add some flavoring and even call them candy. So yes, I believe they will indeed become a good way to remind me of home. Grand idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother was known to toast a marshmallow over a coiled stove top burner and I will admit I too do it all the time. Yum.

    I also suggest watching any movie with mountains in it. That is if you don't mind having a brief cry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what more American than an apple pie??

    ReplyDelete