30 December 2010

Happy Hogmanay Y'all!

I have never been a big fan of New Years in the past. It has also proved to be a worn out holiday that was like the post-Christmas let down when I was either sick or just plain didn't have anywhere fun to go in the past. But it turns out I am a big fan of Scotland's New Years, or Hogmanay. Tonight was the kick off on the Royal Mile with the torch procession. It was a parade of nearly 20,000 people that started with a group of Shetlanders dressed as vikings. They held up some hefty torches and periodically made loud grunting noises and shouted indecipherables.


Then came the bagpipers....

And after came throngs of people holding their torches. "They are lighting up the streets like a KKK rally." Matt remarked. Here's a picture of them waiting for their moment in front of St. Giles cathedral.

After taking in as many sites (and crowds) as we liked, Matt and I headed toward Calton Hill for the "burning of the viking ship" and fireworks. Indeed we found some shortcuts through town to beat the procession to Calton Hill. Yep. It was a "feel like locals" kinda moment for us.

And burn a viking ship they did! I am not sure why exactly but apparently it happens every year. I won't argue with their tradition either as it was pretty cool to watch those Shetlander vikings yell and and throw their torches to light up that boat.

Again, a bit KKK-looking out of context. But it really was super cool.

On our way back down Calton Hill, I was walking next to a bagpiper from the parade. His bagpipes were all lit up with Christmas lights and I had to ask.

"Is there any way that I could get a picture of you with those fantastically festive bagpipes of yours?" He was super friendly. "Of course!"

Him and his friend stopped at the bottom of the steps and put me in between them. They seemed to know the drill between the two of them and had a real system worked out. He even shoved his pipes over to me and helped me grab onto them for a good grip. "Really?!" I asked. "I get to hold them?" I couldn't believe my luck.

"Sure you do!" The other then promptly took off his cap and put it on top my mine. "You need a proper bagpiping hat too then. But don't be telling anyone I let you. They will all be asking to wear me bagpiping hat." Hopefully he will forgive me for letting you in on his secret...


So it turns out that New Years Eve Eve is pretty awesome in these parts. Can't wait until tomorrow's giant Auld Lang Syne sing-along. A Happy Hogmanay to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment