30 April 2011

Oklahoma folk drink tea too...

The Sweeneys have arrived! Well, Mama and Papa Sweeney that is and we are already partying this Caledonia pretty hard. We hit up Kleofas Cafe last night for some delish Polish cuisine. See previous post to get more of the details of what a place like this has to offer. And today was High Tea at The Caledonian (indeed, the 5* place where Sean Connery stays when visiting Edinburgh). True to Sweeney form, many of these parties have revolved around great food. What is better than great food and the best company afterall?

And great, high fa lootin' food it was! Check out this spread...


Lori was the most refined of us all, I think. She catches on quick to high class culture it seems. Check out that pinky action...I swear it was unintentional.
We all had different votes on the best delectable of the day. Mine went to the above pictured meringue. Billowy with a marvelous mix of sticky, chewy and crunchy. The bite with the raspberry and cream was absolute divinity - no pun intended:)


I have been pining to take tea at The Caledonian for a while now after walking past it on Lothian Road regularly for the last few months on our way into town. Lothian Road is normally such a roulette of foul smells (I'll spare you the details on the types we have encountered on our walks). But there is incredible moment that hits when you pass the one 10 metre stretch along The Caledonian. It is pastry pleasure for about two good inhales and it takes me to the kind of happy that I have only gotten in places like Great Harvest during a Christmas shift and the shortbread came out of the oven with pools of butter....you know the serene joy I mean.

So did it live up to all I hoped? In the words of Kurt, "I will remember this until the day I get dementia". I am in accord. So a big thanks to Kurt and Lori who sponsored such a marvelously fun and memorable afternoon tea!

1 comment:

  1. I just love it when parents pay for these sort of indulgences. Three cheers for Lori and Kurt!

    ReplyDelete