28 April 2011

Royal Tailgating...

...or Fancy a Blue, White and Red party?

It is the Royal Wedding Eve! It does seem that there is at least as much talk about it over on the Stateside of the pond as there is here in Scotland. Still, we have had a fair share of William and Kate's pic plastered all over mugs, postcards, and "Quiksilver" gambling houses.

I scored a bit of luck housekeeping one day when a tour group left behind a couple of mugs in their rooms after checking out. My boss let me keep the first one, as she was doing beds with me that day, but luckily she secured her free mug a few rooms later. Perfect for a royal cuppa tea!

On telly today, all of my "Bargain Hunters", "Save My Holiday" and "Homes Under the Hammer" programmes were replaced with LIVE footage of people camping out on the Thames and outside Westminster Abbey in Britain coloured hats (worthy of the Kentucky Derby). The Regis and Kathy Lee London equivalents speculated over tea, finger sandwiches and fairy cakes about what Kate's dress will look like and how Prince William will manage to carefully cover his bald spot (apparently something he is quite sensitive about...).

Though I had little interest up until this point about the whole thing, I have to say that I started to get a bit caught up in all the talk and paused a few moments between stripping beds and turning on the hoover to see what details they would share from what they knew. I think the same thing is happening with the Scots, in spite of themselves. If you ask whether or not they care the response tends to be something like "Ah...I didnae care really. It's just a silly English thing". Still, from what I gather, my boss is going to a hat party with her friends tomorrow to watch the coverage, the restaurant manager will have the telly going all day to keep tabs on the goings on and in the words of Matt's supervisor at the National Library of Scotland "I have mixed feelings about the monarchy but I won't argue with a day off".

I say cheers to William and Kate as I'll be enjoying that extra bank holiday while on the continent in Holland's tulip fields next week!  It seems fitting too as what is more British than enjoying a good and proper holiday?

2 comments:

  1. I feel like it is being talked about a lot over here, and while I don't evny how much more I'm sure it's discussed there, I am jealous of en extra holiday and a trip to Holland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holland tulip fields! Take me with you! Will you have a chance to see the Van Gogh museum? I hope so! How I miss you Cate the Great! The Royal Wedding was fab! What a beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete