21 June 2011

Happy Scottish Summer Solstice

Being this far north has its perks at this time of year (though Nov-Feb was rough when it got dark at 3:30 in the evening).

Matt and I like to celebrate the long days with late evening walks, like our 9:30-10:15pm walk last night for FHE. At the beginning of our stroll down Princes Street, we had a brief moment where we got annoyed that the shops "close so early here". Then we remembered that it was about 10pm at night, even if it felt like 5pm. It isn't just the evenings either. Probably what is most surreal is how early it gets light. When light started to pour through our bedroom window beginning at 4:30am, I would get up with a start sometimes thinking I had slept through my alarm. Afterall, I got very accustomed to waking up and walking to work in the 8am dark. It's pay back time though now. The only complaint is that this day had to be so rainy and dim - but I suppose that is part of the deal when you are talking about a Scottish summer...

1 comment: