12 June 2011

The Whistle Stop on Dalry Road

A new cafe just went in where the French baguette sandwich place went out of business on Dalry Road. I run past it on my way to the Dalry Swimming Pool several times a week. It caught my eye initially because the window has a list of "American Foods" available on the menu. What luck! I thought. Finally a place where I can get some real BBQ, maybe TexMex, a great hamburger or a slice of apple pie. What American delicacies would they offer? Imagine my disappointment upon reading:

-Sloppy Joes (one of our lowest culinary moments)
-Hot Dogs (do Americans eat these more than the British?)
-"American Cookies"

American cookies? There was hope yet! I peered into the window to get a closer look of what that might be. Maybe some Mrs Field-esque melty chocolate chip monster cookie cakes? Better yet, would they get creative like this Ruby Snap place I hear of in Salt Lake or those long lost Texas wonders from Tiff's Treats? Oh what dismay filled my heart when I looked in and saw a crinkly bag with a stars and stripe flag (worthy of an Eagle Court of Honor clip-art invitation). Across the bag read "American Cookies".

Not even Oreos? Nor E.L. Fudge? Not even some waxy Mother's Cookies?!

I shouldn't complain. There truly is too many good sweets for me to take in here (thank goodness I have to walk to get everywhere!). Just last night I finally got my chance at the famous "Banoffee Pie".

That's right. Bananas and Toffee! With a substantially thick digestive biscuit crumb crust (a la Millionaire Shortcake). Brilliant really - a revelation to be sure. No, indeed there is no need to mourn the Whistle Stop on Dalry Road. But still, sloppy joes...really?

5 comments:

  1. Well now, don't be dissin on sloppy joes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam said a family in Berlin once invited him over for American food and fed him spaghetti with hot dogs cut up over the top. We still laugh about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but you had banoffee pie! Yum yum yum. (I don't know how I didn't clue in to your blog before, but I'm glad to be tuned in now) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would guess a delicious hamburger, maybe, but never sloppy joes, and I really can't get over hotdogs, though I guess if they were on a stick, smothered in batter and fried... is that more American?

    Still, there is no excuse for the cookies. That's just a shame.

    Still, banoffee pie? That needs to make it over here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jo - Banoffee Pie will indeed be making it over there via the Cake Dome Party, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete