17 July 2011

And the era ends...

Just tomorrow morning and I will be away to America. The packing is as finished as it can be until it is time to catch the Airlink to the Edinburgh airport. As we loaded a couple of suitcases, Matt and I couldn't help but realize how amazing that this year is leaving us with less than we started. It is turning out to be remarkably easy to fit what we have left. Thanks to the merciless exchange rate, we really have acquired very little (teapot, vase, book, pair of wellies and two magnets) to show as mementos for our time here. So many clothes are ending up "binned" or being given to a charity shop as they are showing significant signs that they were always worn under a backpack or rained on constantly. In some ways we are limping home a bit but what better way to show a well carpe diemed year than wearing out just about everything you own?

This last week has certainly been filled some of my favourite things and people to help me feel ready to "get on" with things. This included a BBQ on Portobello beach with the Adams and Mr. Campbell-Cobb.

And would you believe those housekeepers got me outfitted with a box of those delightful Tunnock's Teacakes and my very own Tunnock's Teacake apron! How well do they know me?!

To be sure, a true highlight had to be my adventure up to Arthur's Seat with my dear friend Aneta. We picnicked on Polish crisps, this gorgeous pineapple and almond cheese on oat crackers, olives, avocados and Hit biscuits. When getting to the top, we shared a very "Aneta moment" when she whipped out a bubble wand to celebrate a great year of friendship. "You know Cate, we celebrate your leaving Edinburgh with bubbles....not "bubbly" because you are Mormon. But bubbles!" When taking pictures of this whimsical event over the city Aneta laughed, "Cate you must post these pictures on facebook with song Forever Young".


If there was ever a song to describe this delightful Polish lass, it would for sure Forever Young. So grateful she shared all kinds of young-at-heart moments with me. How I will miss her calling me "Kashka", her (should have been) Polish sister. Seems like just last week she was chatting away at me on my second day at work, while lugging enormous linen bags with her wee frame. "You know Cate, when we work together it is like you have Polish radio". She is a one of a kind so I know there isn't going to be a thing like her wherever I go but how marvelous that this year gave me the surprise gift that is Aneta. Having much to miss means that there was much given.

So how to say goodbye to a place that gave us such a unique, brief but intense chapter to our lives? Closure seems to come in waves for me. Part of me has this frantic compulsion that I need to do everything "one last time" and make it more meaningful and memorable than ever before. Walk through all my favourite areas of town, run my running route, see every single person that has made my year here memorable, etc etc. But that is an overwhelming business to be in, especially when I feel like these last few years have been such a constant transition. Great relief comes in the realization that the memory of a place, person or event here is often enough to say farewell. That is to say, some things don't need to be done "one last time". The first or the routine experiences of it along the way were the significant parts to it. Nothing really needs to be added I think. And so I say goodbye to my year of living Scottishly. Much love and cheers.

4 comments:

  1. Cate! Good luck coming home, I loved this post! You had such an exciting year, but I am happy to have you back in the same country!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for documenting that beautiful year, dear Cate. I felt like I came off richer for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Aneta brought bubbles instead of bubbly for you! People will love you wherever you go Cate.

    ReplyDelete