05 July 2011

One Last Caledonian Adventure...

At 4am tomorrow (thank goodness it gets light here so early) Matt and I will commence our final Caledonian adventure. It will be a wee three day excursion through Isle of Skye, from what I have seen it could have been weeks if we had the time and funds to explore the outer Hebrides. It should be a mighty 3 days though! Many things on the itinerary which I will save details about until we have the pictures and anecdotes to go along with them. Stay tuned for that...

In the meantime, let me post this lovely folksong my dear Welsh sea-faring friend at the pool shared with me this morning. After telling him I would be away for the rest of the week, he wished me calm seas, a "midgey-free" holiday and let me in on this beautiful song.

Don't know much history behind it except that it refers to the Bonny Prince Charlie who was taken to Skye on a boat to keep him safe. I've listened to it several times already and hope to fall asleep with the lyrics stirring my head tonight.


Chorus:
Speed, bonnie boat, like a bird on the wing,
Onward! the sailors cry;
Carry the lad that's born to be King
Over the sea to Skye.

Loud the winds howl, loud the waves roar,
Thunderclaps rend the air;
Baffled, our foes stand by the shore,
Follow they will not dare.

Chorus

Many's the lad fought on that day,
Well the Claymore could wield,
When the night came, silently lay
Dead in Culloden's field.

Chorus

Though the waves leap, soft shall ye sleep,
Ocean's a royal bed.
Rocked in the deep, Flora will keep
Watch by your weary head.

Chorus

Burned are their homes, exile and death
Scatter the loyal men;
Yet ere the sword cool in the sheath
Charlie will come again.

1 comment: