14 October 2010

An Idiot Abroad

I refer to the latest and greatest Ricky Gervais contribution to British television. Of course, perhaps the reason I like this show so much is because I indeed know well what it means to be an idiot abroad. The premise of series is that Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais (masterminds behind The Office and Extras) send this fellow named Karl Pilkington to the 7 wonders of the world. It is a slightly cynical, very British yet very honest representation of what it is like to travel to somewhere new, bizarre and foreign. It's a bit of a farce at times but so so spot on about the lost in translation frustration that comes with anything that is out of your experience.

Here's a recap of the show:


So far, Karl has visited China (to see the Great Wall), Jordan (Petra), India (Taj Mahal) and now Mexico to see Chichen Itza. Part of me totally sympathizes with Karl's honest assessment that alot of the experiences you have in a new cultures is just weird and rather inconvenient. At the same time, I can't help but think - you are so so British Karl and there are moments where you are the one I don't quite understand entirely.

That said, here are some highlights from China:


Do you like what you see? Look for it at a library near you once it comes out on DVD!

1 comment:

  1. This show looks awesome, I had to laugh at the chinese massage part since I can identify with his unfortunate massage experience.

    ReplyDelete