05 October 2010

The Illusionist

No no no...I do not refer to that one. I wouldn't waste your time with a post about Edward Nortan's fantasy that he some kind of magician attracting people of the poor-man's Scarlett Johansen caliber. Enough said about that.

With that out of the way - Did you like Triplets of Belleville? I'm pretty sure that everyone that has seen it does but for good measure Sylvain Chomet has made another delightful animation that I can whole heartedly recommend. I still have yet to see Triplets... but I can guarantee that my motivation to see it has tripled (ha!:) after seeing The Illusionist. I'll give you a hint as to why Matt and I were obliged to shell out 10 pounds (that's 16 American-mind you) on discount Monday to see this while it was still in the theaters:

Not only does the story take place in Edinburgh but there was even a couple of scenes that included The Cameo theatre, where we saw the movie.

We were most happy to find this theatre too since it is less than a mile walk from our flat and shows much promise with the films it plays (for example-Back to the Future was playing on another screen for the Halloween season). It will be a just the right replacement for our Paramount in Ausitn and the Tower in the ol' SLC. To add to the grandeur of our Edinburgh gem, there is Texas-style leg room with cushy, comfy seats and armrests. Between the grand seating, the gold curtains and folksy instrumental fare that played before our the movie, it was no surprise that the animators were sure to include this in their work.

That is to say, The Illusionist is lovely. Go see it and you just may never need to come to Edinburgh to know all that there is to love here.

No comments:

Post a Comment