24 October 2010

of Edinburgh's art and Yokshire's puddings...

This weeks exploring day took Matt and I to the Dean gallery collections quite close to our flat in the West End. We had seen the grounds a bit from a Sunday walk last week and the sculpture garden (as well as the free entry) intrigued us. We had to take a visit.

I was impressed with the exterior curiosities which included this magnificent piece. It was such a marvel as it swayed different directions, offering a different experience from various angles and distances to it. Just approaching it was rather poetic.
I also enjoyed the Henry Moore reclining figure (as I always do)

One of my favorites though was a landform that is open for walking about on not damp days (which has yet to happen of the 2 times I have walked through).

Of course there were other oddities and intrigues along the way that added interest.

The kitschy, neon sign running across the Georgian architecture of the museum: Everything Is Going to Be Alright.

Highlights of the permanent collection were Glawsgian Alastair Gray's drawings, some unnerving German expressionist wooden scultpures, Robert Therien's Table and Chairs (very Alice in Wonderlandy) and of course, Duane Hansen's Tourists. Fittingly with the Tourists piece I entered the gallery room thinking that there were two other people viewing the art than Matt and I. On second look, I realized that the Tourists were the only other presence in the room. That seemed just the way to experience the piece.

In the culinary news, Matt and I got the chance to try some haggis at a friend's place. It was savory oaty good. Something that we both agreed may tempt us to order off of a menu in the future. I also tried my hand at some British cooking tonight. I give to you, Yorkshire pudding pizza (pre-cooked):

The concept of a German pancake with a basil, tomatoes, peppered salami and fresh mozarella. Matt deemed it a hit and one to keep on future dinner schedules for us Sweeneys. Success in this wee, Celcius oriented kitchen is not as common as one would hope. So I am feeling triumphant in this simple recipe.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for Henry Moore! Sounds like a lovely outing! I hope your job is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff is not a picky eater AT ALL, but we were discussing this the other day and he said he would rather NOT ever try blood pudding or haggis. That being said, every Scot I know (all 2 of them down here) can't stop talking about haggis. Intriguing!

    Also, my favorite is definitely the neon sign "Everything is going to be alright" - uhhhh what?! Sounds like an amusing outing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff is right to avoid blood pudding unless he wants to the taste of pennies in his mouth for the next 24 hours. Not too bad initially but bad bad aftertaste.

    Indeed, haggis is a savory treat. It really isn't any weirder of a meat product than a cheap hotdog but I think that we get in our head that somehow it is gross. I would highly recommend trying a high quality haggis sometime. If you are ever in our neighborhood we would be obliged to show you the way to good haggis eating as we know it:)

    ReplyDelete