10 November 2010

Culture Shock Listed

Things you are probably already aware of as far as difference in Scottish and American terminology goes:
- Garbage Cans = "Rubbish Bins" (or "Litter Bins" if you are from the posh crowd)
- Diapers = "Nappies"
- Bangs = "Fringe" (they still understood me at the hair school when I got a trim this last weekend)
- Sausage = "Bangers"
- Mashed Potatoes = "Mash"
- Vacation = "Holiday"
- Holiday = "Holiday" (This can make for some confusion between an American employee and a Scottish employer on which paid days off you have at work.)
- Cell phone  = "Mobile"
- T.V. = "Tele"
- Commercials = "Adverts"
- Cookies/Candy Bars = "Biscuits"
- Dessert = "Pudding"
- Dinner/Supper = "Tea" or "Dinner"
- Small = "Wee"
- Y'all = "pardon?"
- 11:30/12:30/etc = "half eleven"/"half twelve"
- Fries = "Chips" and Chips = "Crisps"
This has prove to be confusing for me on several occassions as I often get confused when trying to actually implement these terms in conversation. I have been known to talk about wanting some ketchup for my "Crisps" and asking for Doritos for my "Chips" with my sandwich. The key is to not over think this one.
- Stroller = "Buggie"
- Vaccum = "Hoover" (I think the Americans have the more academic approach to this one actually)
- Hall = "Cooridor" (Particularly relevant when working housekeeping I suppose)

When traveling about the UK, be sure to replace __________ with ____________.
- Tag with "Tig"
Otherwise those Rainbow Girlguides will set you straight if you try and play with them.
- Pants with "Trousers"
Otherwise you may end up offending your boss at work in the same way your mom does when she calls flip-flops "thongs". Indeed "pants" are short (no pun intended) for "panties".
- Raisins with "Sultanas" 
Otherwise you will end up sounding like a boorish American (even though that is exactly who you are - you may as well try to overcome it for the sake of fitting in)
- Corn with "Maize" 
Since we were already on the topic of sounding a bit more refined and "fitting in"...
- Season (as in a season of a tele programme) with "Series"
This is still a bit confusing to me. I will let you know once I get a handle on it.
-Have a good day with "Cheers"
This is a great phrase as it can also sneak into an awkward moment with a stranger and smooth things over. Maybe two people are trying to get out of a small shop door at the same time and one takes the initiative to go first to get the deed done and over. The person who took the initiative need not seem rude as they can simply follow up with a "cheers" as in "thanks in advance for not being mad about me getting out first".

Expressions abound here like:
- "How are you getting on?", "She's got on well.", or "We got on like a house on fire!" 
I am still trying to recognize all the contexts in which this is appropriate to the "getting on" phrasing but the jist of it is that "getting on" is a positive thing. You always want to be "getting on" with work, life, relationships, etc. Don't quote me on that as there may be some exceptions....
- "I can't be bothered", "She won't be bothered", etc.
Again, still trying to get a hold of this one as well but the context in which I routinely here this one is when my supervisor at work says something to the effect of: "I try and get most of my rooms cleaned before lunch because after lunch I can't be bothered". 
- "Having a laugh"
I love love this one and did before I got here. Now that I am here, I have bit more confidence in using it as it is a great expression that causes the very thing it describes. FYI, for all you non-BBC comedy watchers, this expression means "are you kidding?" Check out a great use of the expression here. This phrase can also be used, as per a sister at church I talked to the other day, to talk about having a good time or being able to joke around. Her use of it was a bit like "Oh you should come to the church for Enrichment nights. It would be worth the walk up the hill on a cold, dark night as there would be a laugh and a chocolate biscuit once you get there." Rightly so too.
-"That's me" or "That's Us"
This means you have finished with something or you are about to leave. A good example would be something like when you are done with the last project you have at work and then you would say "Well, that's me then" and you would grab your coat, say your cheers to everyone left at work and be out the door.

Phrases/Words I believe I will adopt into my normal speech (or already have):
- Wee 
This is up there with "y'all" as far as I am concerned. Such an expressive regional term.
- Tele 
What's not to love about this one?
- Having a Laugh
Do I have to explain myself on this at all? If so then please watch the second season of Extras.
-Cheers
Good farewell option for an email and a good way to avoid awkward moments with strangers. See posting of term used above.


So this may not seem like too many things to keep track of but along with a sturdy Scottish accent, there are moments when I am not quite sure what people are talking about or if they know what I am talking about. In other words, it can all add up at times to be difficult to express myself here in spite of me speaking the same language. Indeed, I have been known to offend or confuse others with my willy nilly use of terms such as "pants", etc, but nothing compares to the embarassment I faced while abroad in France. There were many moments with that language and culture where I ended up saying something I didn't mean to but the worst was when I carelessly assumed that "preservatif" was a cognate. This led to my telling my host mom one night "Le pain Americain a des preservatives. Il n'y a pas des preservatives dans le pain francais". Translation: "American bread has condoms in it. There are no condoms in French bread." Yep. In other words, I am accustomed to the humiliating myself in front of other cultures. Too bad I couldn't have said, "Mais non, je suis en train de rire" - "Just kidding, I am just having a laugh".

8 comments:

  1. Nice! This is a more extensive than the guide I once compiled.

    One correction: The Scots do have an equivalent of "y'all". It's "youse" (pronounced YOOZ). Its just a pluralized "you" and although its a very ugly word its also very useful (youse-ful?)

    "Git yersel's oot ma close youse cheeky wee neds!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo...a most useful addition to this list. Glad I am aware of such linguistic corner cutting here. Even if I don't use it myself, I am sure to use it in deciphering the world around me here.

    Cheeky should have been on the list, along with neds and pensioners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list, but if you are anything like me, it will continue to grow every day. It sounds like British English is very similar to Scottish, though I think the Scottish accent is generally harder to understand. Although I have been surprised by how hard some Brits are to understand, especially when they are using terms and expressions I have never heard before, like "gutted."

    I have yet to use "Cheers" becuase I'm too conufsed how to use it - it seems like a catch all for "thank you," "goodbye," and "I have no idea what else to say." I'm also still really confused about how to describe when people are sick. Do I say sick or ill or unwell or poor? People seem really confused if I just say, "Nathan was really sick."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and do you know what a "garbage man" is called here? Not a rubbish man, but a "bin man" - really, I think that is probably a lot nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still have yet to hear "gutted". That is an interesting one. Can you give me a context?

    Indeed this is a growing list and I think I will be modifying this post this whole year. Bin man should be added for sure. Let me know what results you get from your experiments with the words "sick, ill, poor, unwell" etc. I would be interested to know...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to correct you on some phrasing as you seem to have got it a bit muddled:

    Sausage = "Bangers"
    - Mashed Potatoes = "Mash"
    - Vacation = "Holiday"
    - Holiday = "Holiday" (This can make for some confusion between an American employee and a Scottish employer on which paid days off you have at work.)
    - Cell phone = "Mobile"
    - T.V. = "Tele" - we also call it T.V. and it's said as Telly.
    - Cookies/Candy Bars = "Biscuits" - Cookies = Biscuits but Candy Bars are just = Chocolate Bars or Bars of Chocolate.
    - Dessert = "Pudding", pudding is different to desert. Desert is an all encompassing term.
    - Dinner/Supper = "Tea" or "Dinner" Lunch = Midday, Dinner = 4-7 in the evening and Tea/Supper are the same thing and any time after that.
    -Tag with "Tig" - I think you're misinterpreting the accent. The accent says it as Tig but it's spelt Tag and is Tag.
    - Stroller = "Buggie" - Thought it was pram?

    No Cooridor, it's Corridor and it's also called a Hallway.

    Raisins and Sultanas are two different fruit.

    When you say 'gutted' you mean disappointed.

    Some words you're misinterpreting, they are the same words as regular words like you's and useful. It's just how the Scot's pronounce it. They aren't new words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @princeharry

    Not to try to censor you or anything, but I really think you are missing the point of this blog. It is not meant to be an exhaustive, completely factual treatise of life in Britain, it is more to be read as one American's quips and humorous observations. None of us are sitting here saying, "ah yes, that is exactly what every British person is like", but rather "haha. Cate's take on life in Scotland is fun to hear".

    I'm not trying to chase you away or anything, I just think that you're missing the point. (And you come off as sounding a bit nasty, to be honest.) Try to read this in the tone in which it was intended rather than as a personal affront to your way of life. Try this and perhaps you will enjoy reading it rather than feeling compelled to meticulously correct every thing you disagree with.

    Again, I don't want to start an argument, but I don't think you want to be seen as an internet troll either, so I suggest either lighten up a little and laugh with us or find something else to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry if I came across wrong. I didn't intend to be.

    ReplyDelete