27 November 2010

Thankful in Scotland

For a country that doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, Scotland sure gave us Sweeneys a great holiday. Between a visit from my mum for the week, a couple of day trips to the Kingdom of Fife and its own St Andrews as well as Loch country and Stirling Castle, some quality time in Holyrood Park, a bit of odd Christmas cheer getting set up on Princes Street gardens (story will come follow), I felt I had a lot to be grateful for this year.

The week started out a bit wet and dark for my climate preferences. Still, we started the day off by shivering through a couple "Hop On Hop Off" bus tours through the city. To hoist the ol' spirits up, my mom tossed a coin to the bagpiper on Waverly Bridge and got me a proper tourist picture. Afterall, there is nothing more Scottish than a good, cold rainstorm.


Tuesday brought adventures in Holyrood Park for the morning. Thank heavens for the sun that day! Beautiful views abound along all the trails in Holyrood and it was so so fun to show them off to the lady that taught me how to take in and appreciate some quality wild landscape.




We were also sure to get some Princes Street and Royal Mile time in the shops. Along the way we saw the anachronistic monstrosities going up for the Christmas festival. My favorite was the views of the ferris wheel set up in front of the Sir Walter Scott monument. As irreverent as carnival rides may seem in front of medieval through 18th century architecture and monuments, Matt and I are looking forward to taking a go around it sometime soon.


Later in the week was dedicated to a couple of lovely day tours through a bit of Scottish country North of Edinburgh (so great that I think I will need to dedicate a separate post for them later). Suffice it say, for now, that we all agreed a fish and chips Thanksgiving chased with sweet mince pies suited the three of us just as well as any feast we had in previous holidays.

It was sad to send her on her way early this morning. I've said it before but it's the truth in saying that there just ain't no sunshine when she's gone. Perhaps that's not saying much considering that I'm here in the cloudy capital of the world but it is as true in Austin as it is here. That said, I was grateful indeed to have a week spent with my mum in some good Lothian sun!

1 comment:

  1. Every time I read "Holyrood," my mind switches it to "Hollywood."

    And happy Thanksgiving to you in your Caledonian land.

    ReplyDelete