04 November 2010

Love this world of ours.

Look at the world around (hand on head as if you are looking around)
Learn everything you can (point to your head)
Laugh as you go along (point to mouth and smile)
Love this world of ours (cross hands over chest)
Look, learn, laugh love (repeat above actions)
Rainbows have begun
We're all here now
Time to have some fun

I am learning this song right now from a handful of 5-7 year old Rainbows at Girlguiding meetings each Tuesday. I signed up as a volunteer unit helper to help get a bit more involved in the Edinburgh community. I have only been once but it was great fun. The girls asked me "Why do you talk so funny?" I confided in them that I come from a place where everyone talks funny. "Are you from Canada?" Nope. America. After doing a Southern drawl and a New Yorker impersonation, I turned it into a teaching moment and taught them the word "accent". They taught me the word *"wellies" while coloring in their paper doll clothes. Then they demanded more American impersonations. We got on like a house on fire, as they say in these parts. I look forward to many good times with them at St. Cuthbert's church on Slateford Rd.
In other news, another culinary success in this country that offers so few of my tried and true ingredients (in walking distance at least). Oh how I miss my Mexican staples but it is good to branch out. I give you coconut curry and rice soup with falafal.

*Three cheers for anyone who can figure out what "wellies" are. And yes, it is a commonly used term here in the UK.

5 comments:

  1. I love this post for oh so many reasons. And aren't "wellies" rain boots or galoshes? At least that's what I thought they were.

    I think your life abroad is so grand. I'm temporarily cool by association.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jo, I believe they are rain boots. Way to volunteer. You keep yourself busy. I think that is a virtue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three cheers for you both! You would get on like a house on fire here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Lindsey and Jo. In the BFG the giants like to eat "human beans" from Wellington for the booty flavor and from Panama for the hatty taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you are able to volunteer and let people hear your "funny" accent!

    Oh, and Nathan owns his own pair of wellies! Do you know what a vest is? (Our vests are waistcoats) Or a nappy? I also have to stop referring to PBJ as peanut butter and JELLY. ;)

    ReplyDelete