19 November 2010

When Scotland Wins...

Foods that are better in Scotland...
-Almost all dairy products. The whipping cream, yogurt and butter here are shamelessly rich and thick. The cheddar is kick-in-the-pants strong when it says "sharp" cheddar. An important culinary (and budget friendly discovery) that Matt and I made recently is that super sharp, white cheddar is the perfect replacement for a parmesan in a pinch. Why do I say "almost" and not "all" dairy products? Not sure about the cream cheese here. It's texture is a bit troublesome for cream cheese frosting on say...well a carrot cake. That is unforgivable in my world so I have to qualify dairy products as not entirely being superior.
-Eggs. They are all free range which does result in occassionally having to pull off wispy feather attached to the egg or bitty beaks floating in the yolk. This is unnerving at first but then you realize that it is so much more normal to have a slightly imperfect, organic experience with a brown egg than a completely sterile experience with a white egg. Plus it encourages me to be true to the recommended method of cracking an egg in a bowl before adding it to wet baking ingredients, etc.
-Bacon. This is a very touchy subject to some Americans and Scots as the bacon here is distinctly different from what you would buy in the states. Many Americans say that it isn't "crunchy" enough and that bacon needs to have a certain texture to be true to itself. Indeed the bacon here isn't the striped fat, crunchy bacon but let me tell you something. It is so so...well...bacony. The flavor beats the hell out of American bacon. So smokey. It is like the dark chocolate of bacon. I can understand you wanting to have something familiar and comforting at times like a bar of cheap milk chocolate. All cravings have their place but I submit that when all is said and done, bacon here is more sophisticatedly tasty. In the meantime, there is always the argument that bacon here has more food for what you pay - less fat content in the price you pay. So touche all you crunchy bacon advocates.
-Candy. No doubt this is to be expected with chocolate. Americans always get a bad reputation for waxy chocolate and rightly so. That said, these Brits really are our superiors on all things confectionary. For one: gummies. I give you Rowntree's Randoms or Haribo's Tangfastic or Sour Strawberry Pencils as exhibit A, B, and C. These are so so good in such different ways. Randoms are utterly gummy-y in a way you never thought possible. Now some smart-a might challenge that "Oh Haribo is a German brand of candy. Not British." To that I would respond it is more accessible here in the UK and it is much much cheaper. Ha! That's right. And might I add that only those who have read even a few Roald Dahl books would know not to trifle with the Brits and their confectionary. Can I also throw out there that the Skittles here have blackcurrent instead of grape in their original flavor packs? And also candy bars include delightfully romantic and creative renditions of mint and chocolate (Aero Bars) as well as fake honeycomb (Crunchie Bars). Heaven! This just scratches the surface but you get the idea.
-Digestive Biscuits. Most especially those blessed HobNobs. How do Americans compare? They don't. There is no subsitute for a Hob Nob. Enough said.
-Hummus. This has always been a staple but it is taking on a new level of importance for us while we have been here. It is better in all ways here. It's cheaper. There are more choices. The texture is always spot-on better and all the flavors have been so so perfect.
-Curry. There are so many good curry and falafal places here in Edinburgh. It is cheap and spicey good. Britains own Tikka Masala, Chicken Vindaloo (for all you Red Dwarf fans) and much much more. It is some tasty spice that is great for heating you up in cold weather.

Foods that are better in America...
-I expected this but the variety of choices (most especially in the way of produce - how I miss a good avocado!) in an average grocery store in the States is really superior. Then again, that is the American way - have more choices! Have a bigger selection! Even a head of cauliflower or a kilo of brussel sprouts are bigger in America. How could this be? They last longer and somehow they fit in your ginormous fridge (ours is the same size as the average local which makes it just bigger than something you would have in a hotel room).
-Mexican food. I knew this would be my main culinary trial here and so I prepped for it. It was so much harder to deal with after having lived in a TexMex capital of sorts but I am coping. Somehow eating more curry helps curb my cravings.
-Bread. I don't think that Americans really have the best idea on bread. I think that would have to go to the French and their baguette wonder food or maybe the Italians with their Ciabatta bread. Still, there is no place to get a thick slice of some Great Harvest whole wheat or Dakota-style bread in these parts. It is a bit fluffy for my taste. The best substitute I can find is Polish bread. It is chewy-delicious.
*Thanks to Andreas Gursky for his photograph "99 Cent". Truly a document of American culture.

Other things that are better in Scotland...
-Healthcare. Let the debates begin but seriously guys, it is such an accessible and intuitive system to use here. Need I mention that it is free?! It is free to me because I have a job that I work 3 days a week at and free to Matt because he is at Uni. We have been trying it out by force as Matt's ol' gallbladder is giving him trouble these days. Is the quality good? They have the same procedures and tests that they gave Matt in Texas when he was having problems with it. So far, the conversations and advice have been comparable. Is it taking forever? In the last 3 weeks, Matt has registered for a General Practioner (where all NHS users must start), attended an initial appt/check-up, gotten a chest x-ray, had a follow-up appt about his x-ray, attended an appt for blood work. Pretty impressive. I have this sort of ridiculous idea that hey, if either Matt and I are going to get sick, need a gallbladder out, etc we best do it this year as we won't be able to afford to do much about it come next fall!
-Mystery tele programmes. No one matches the Brits on their ability to churn out series after series, programme after programme of compelling, quality mystery shows on television. It is remarkable. Matt and my favourite programme right now is New Tricks. We stumbled on it one night when we first moved into our flat. With a boiler that didn't work, no friends, no job and a kitchen that was hard to use, it was more than a luxury to find as it reminded us of some of the great things that we loved about this culture.
-Accents. Let's face it. Scottish people have such a great way of expressing themselves. Their terminology holds it's own but their way of speaking is really something great too. I would acknowledge that Texans, Bostonians and New Yorkers are up in the running but I think they still may be beat. Which brings me to a point, why is it that DreamWorks had all their supposedly Norwegian Vikings talking like Scottish people in How to Train a Dragon?

7 comments:

  1. I love this post. Yummm digestive biscuits. Worst name ever, best treat ever. And yes, I'm ashamed of our chocolate too.

    That healthcare sounds amazing. I'd be lying if I said I haven't considered moving to Vancouver for an experience like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that your experience with the NHS has been so good. Natalie was able to get free braces on her teeth while she was there and they also treated her for asthma. She had a great experience and I've since thought socialized medicine was the way to go. I always hear conservatives trashing it and saying that people wait years for routine procedures -- I wondered if Natalie just got lucky but I've never personally met anyone who had a bad experience with the NHS so . . . hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother brought home "European Style" butter from the store instead of typical butter, and now I'm really liking the way it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fascinating read, seeing as everything is very similar to here in the UK. I especially like your comments about bacon because, although I don't eat bacon, Jeff can't get enough of the UK bacon. In fact, I've tried a bit and am not completely turned off like I am with U.S. bacon! Probably because it has substance other than fat! I'd have to agree that the butter is divine as well! And ditto on the Mexican food comment. I miss being able to buy tortilla chips and flour tortillas in bulk at rarely any expense at all!

    I don't think I agree 100% with NHS, but then again, my experience hasn't been as positive. I do enjoy the accessibility to all and as Nathan has had many health problems, I think it is brilliant when you don't have to pay or a doctor comes to YOUR house in the middle of the night. Still, my experience with the hospital (when Nathan was kept overnight) was not the greatest and I really do miss the private rooms that are common in the U.S. My biggest issue with NHS, and I have found similar feelings with Brits (though I think it has more to do with life in the city versus the country) is that you often don't see the same doctor. Nathan has never seen the same doctor two times in a row and that lack of continuity is bothersome to me. I actually think I worry about the NHS a lot more with children in general because they don't do regular checkups with a doctor here like in the U.S. But I am definitely not anti-socialized medicine. I just wish they could take the best of both works. Perfection would be nice, but probably isn't going to happen, right? ;) Ok, uhhhh sorry for the super long comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is interesting about your NHS experiences with Nathan. Sorry he has been so ill by the way. I agree that there needs to be some sort of system implemented that suits the American culture/standard/needs etc. I will say though that no matter how it shakes out, I love being able to think of my health as less of a luxury and privelege and more of a standard of living (even if I don't have the funds to pay for it).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you about being able to have healthcare be less of a luxury or privelege and more of a standard of living. I've been thinking lately about the disparity between America (or really developed countries in general) and well, the rest of the world. Yes, I love my experiences with healthcare in the U.S. because I've grown accostomed to a certain standard and I've always been blessed to have good insurance when I've needed it. But really, I think I'd be willing to sacrifice private rooms and some of the other comfortable "frills" if it means that people who couldn't find help otherwise would get it. I just take so much for granted.

    Of course, now I'm getting way off topic from your original post! I better go eat some cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. cate i love reading your blog!! i need to do better at commenting. you know i adore all things culinary so i *ate* this post up (no pun intended...ha ha ha)! i like that the cream, butter, and milk are all way better...must be because they aren't industrialized cows. wish we could get that figured out over here.

    we watched a documentary on health care the other night called "Sick Around The World" (find it on PBS.com) and it was really good. it covered the health care systems of 5 other capitalist democracies and what we could learn from them here in the US. it talked about NHS and i thought it sounded really neat. i think the ultimate debate is this: is health care something everyone is entitled to as a fundamental right, or is it something you are privileged to and must pay for? i think especially after watching this and seeing how other countries handle health care (very well, i might add) we think that it is a fundamental right that should be at least in part given by the government, like in Britain or other countries.

    i have always hated it when i hear all of the conservatives around me saying what a scary thing it would be to have the all-evil "SOCIALIZED!!!!!!" medicine (i love how it becomes this good vs. evil debate). i am glad we watched that documentary because i feel like it gave me more knowledge to say to them...hey, you actually have NO CLUE what you're even talking about...those country's health care systems are WAY better and WAY cheaper than ours!! got to love good ol' america!! love it and hate it all at the same time.

    k sorry for this long comment...glad you guys are loving it there. i'm trying REALLY hard not to be jealous. it's not working.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete