13 November 2010

Lovely Linlithgow.

Matt and I had a much needed planned* adventure in what I guess you call the Scottish countryside this last Friday. Perhaps it wouldn't be considered a proper country trip by some but it certainly was pastoral and the town itself was wee. That said, we had a grand time taking a 20 minute train ride North West of Edinburgh to a town called Linlithgow. What attracted us to go to Linlithgow in particular was a chance to see this site:

It was marvelous and a true gem to have so close to us that it only took 8 pounds for us both to go and see.

What is the background of this place you ask? Well, Matt and I probably don't have the full story as it would have taken another 7 pounds to learn about it by going in the castle. What we did figure out is that it was the birthplace of Scotland's own Mary Queen of Scots. The loch (or lake) by which the castle was built gave much help to town in the early days in terms of fish and water for crops, etc. Also, the area was so scenic and relatively nice in terms of the climate that royalty often took their holidays here.

Matt and I took a grand tour around the castle and loch.

Saw some ducks braving the white capped windy waters of the loch.

Got a stellar view of the castle with some full on rainbow action.

Ate a delicious lunch of smashed PBJ sandwiches and a wee mint tart.

Got caught in the rain during our canal walk and decided to head back to the train station when my umbrella broke beyond repair due to the wind. The highlight of the day came when Matt kept insisting that I use his umbrella and he could put on my rain jacket that I didn't want to wear. I assured him over and over "No no. I promise. I am fine with this umbrella. It works well enough for now." After dodging a few locals on bicycles, Matt tells me pleadingly "Please Cate. Can you just put that busted umbrella away? I am embarassed for you."

And the truth comes out! That set me off laughing so hard for several minutes I could barely walk through the mud. It just was so so perfect as I really feel like that is what happens so often with the dynamics between Matt and I. "No no...I don't mind this crazy outfit I am wearing at all...No need to buy me matching socks...etc." Finally Matt comes clean and tells me his real concerns. Good man to know when I am embarassing myself. He really does help me "get on" in this world.

But can I just pose one lingering question that remained on our way back to the train station? Is my busted umbrella look any more embarassing than Matt wearing my TJMaxx rain jacket? In some funny way, I think he looked great in it. What a guy to be willing to don my sub-par rain jacket to help save me from myself. Love that fellow of mine.

*There are no shortages of opportunities for adventure here for Matt and I. The problem we often encounter is that our adventures are more along the lines of taking the wrong bus to the wrong side of town, almost getting hit by a car because we forget what side of the street people drive on, etc. Indeed, we have found that it takes a fair amount of effort to have the pleasant sort of adventures sometimes. Thankfully, Linlithgow was one of these moments.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Cate, what fun, such a beautiful place. I just caught up as well with your other posts. I love the commentary for the language. It brought back so many memories for me. I struggled the worst with "where is your rest room" when I should have asked for the "loo" or the "water closet". They would look at me a moment the ask " do you what to line down", I tell ya it was so funny. Cheers to you both.

    ReplyDelete